Subscribe

    2022 Flood Season Updates & Tips For Reducing Flood Risk

    At the time of publication, Hurricane Ian is currently brewing off the coast of Florida. According to NPR,  "After passing over Cuba, Ian is forecast to strengthen even more over warm Gulf of Mexico waters, reaching top winds of 140 mph before making landfall again. Tropical-storm-force winds are expected in Florida late Tuesday, reaching hurricane force Wednesday morning. The hurricane center said there's a 100 percent chance of damaging winds and water along Florida's west coast."

    With the peak of flood season (August-October) still looming, the mid-season update by the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) still favors an above-average activity for the 2022 hurricane season. They have predicted a 60% chance of an above-average season and the likelihood of near-average activity has risen to 30%. The chances for a below-average season remain at 10%.

    NOAA infographic (1)Source: https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/noaa-still-expects-above-normal-atlantic-hurricane-season

    This year, we have seen devastating flooding across the U.S.:

    Notable 2022 weather conditions

    • A historic 9 inches of rain fell on July 26, in St. Louis, shattering historical records, with over a foot of rain measured in some suburbs.
    • On July 28, 10 inches of rain fell sending rivers rising several feet in eastern Kentucky, resulting in dozens of fatalities.
    • A state of disaster was declared in the Dallas-Fort Worth area when record amounts of rain prompted rescues from the rising waters.
    • The Navajo Nation in Navajo County declared a state of emergency in Death Valley after severe flooding.
    • Parts of Yellowstone national park are still in recovery after a record rainfall occurred in June causing destruction totaling in millions of dollars.

    So far, the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season has seen five named storms and no hurricanes in the Atlantic Basin. However, Administrator Rick Spinrad, Ph.D. stated that he anticipates more storms are on the way, in a recent article by NOAA.

    According to NOAA, Every year, there are on average 84 tropical cyclones around the world. Over the past 50 years, they have caused on average 43 deaths and $78 million in losses. With increasing vulnerability to more intense and frequent storms, it's vital to stay prepared.

    Between 1996 and 2019 FEMA reported 99% of U.S. counties were impacted by a flooding event. Floods, particularly those associated with hurricanes and tropical storms, are the most common natural disaster in the country. According to FEMA, a mere inch of floodwater in a home can result in over $25,000 in property damage! Despite this, homeowners insurance does not cover damages caused by flooding.

    What you can do to reduce the risk of flood loss this season:

    • Know the flood risk of the area you live in. It’s important to analyze the risk of floods because floods can happen anywhere. Over 20% of NFIP flood insurance claims come from outside of high-risk food areas.
    • Know the options. The NFIP covers up to $250,000 in flood damages and that may not be enough for your property. Take inventory to see if you should consider primary or excess flood insurance.
    • Help obtain coverage. When you work with SWBC, you gain access to primary flood coverage for all zones, properties, and states to meet all your needs.

    When it comes to protecting the value of your home, don’t risk going without coverage for floods, our country’s most common natural disaster.

    New call-to-action

    Related Categories

    Disaster Preparedness Insurance

    John Hannah

    John Hannah is the AVP of Product Management for SWBC Insurance Partners. In his role, he reviews and analyzes P&C insurance product programs to meet and exceed financial goals. He assesses the risk and profitability of prospective and existing clients, to include underwriting, coverage and pricing recommendations.

    You may also like:

    Disaster Preparedness

    Homeowners' Insurance and Personal Property Coverage for Wildfires

    The 2022 Climate Survey from Policygenius found that a strong majority (72%) of young homeowners (those ages 19-34) with...

    Disaster Preparedness Insurance

    How to File a Flood Claim in 5 Simple Steps

    Experiencing major damage to your beloved home after a flood can be devastating. Sadly, it doesn’t take very much water ...

    Disaster Preparedness Insurance

    Be Prepared for Another Active Hurricane Season in 2022

    The Atlantic hurricane season began June 1 and will run through November 30, 2022. Weather forecasters at the National O...

    Let Us Know What You Thought about this Post.

    Put your Comment Below.

    icon

    The numbers are in your favor...

    For great homeowner's insurance.

    18 options from 1 insurance expert

    Get a quote